Veterans & Military

Washburn Tech is proud to serve those who serve our country. Whether you are a veteran, active duty member, reservist or National Guard member, our Veterans’ Certifying Official provides assistance in obtaining educational services and benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs. Services include:

  • Credit for educational experience in the Armed Forces
  • Transfer credits accepted from other accredited colleges and universities
  • Full-time veteran services and financial aid staff members available
  • A variety of degree programs approved for VA educational benefits

Schedule an appointment to learn about your educational benefits, rights and responsibilities by contacting our financial aid office at 785.670.3360 or You also can go to the KanVet website or to

Connect with Chris

Chris Bowers doesn’t just understand the veteran experience at Washburn University – he has lived it. After his third enlistment in the U.S. Army, Bowers retired from military service in 2010 before deciding to pursue a degree in history at Washburn.

Bowers is the Military Transition Coordinator for Washburn and Washburn Tech, serving as the first point of contact for all new veterans who choose to enroll.

Contact Chris as 785.670.1983 or email

information about Chris Bauers

GI Bill®

As a veteran, you and your family are eligible for educational benefits under the Montgomery GI Bill® and Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program and the Post 9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008

Washburn Tech can help you navigate your military education benefit, including applying for benefits, providing information, and serving as a liaison between you and the VA Regional Processing Office. Our dedicated staff members are here for you!

GI Bill® Application

Apply for your GI Bill® benefits by going online and completing an application.

For ease of completing the application, have the following information available:

  • Personal information, including Social Security number
  • Bank routing number
  • Bank account number
  • Physical address: Washburn Tech, 5724 Huntoon St, Topeka, KS 66604
  • Facility codes:
    • Academy of Cosmetology 11X09016
    • Fort Riley CPT 11X08816
    • Washburn Institute of Technology 11X08916
    • Washburn Tech East 11X08716
    • Washburn University 1101916
  • Dates of service
  • If you have your DD214, you can upload it as part of your application

GI Bill® Processing

Each term, you must complete a Veterans Information Sheet and submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility in order for your GI Bill® education benefits to be processed. It is important to complete this form in a timely manner to ensure your benefits are not delayed. You are required to report all changes to your enrollment to the Washburn Tech Certifying Official. This includes but is not limited to, reduction of credit hours or a complete withdrawal, program changes, and incomplete grades or failing grades from the term. You must also submit any changes made to your personal contact information and address.

GI Bill Information

The Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) program offers up to 36 months of education and training benefits. If you are a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps or Coast Guard Reserve, Army National Guard, or Air National Guard, you may be eligible for this benefit.
The Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (MGIB-AD) can help you pay for education and training programs. If you’ve served at least two years on active duty, find out if you qualify for the MGIB-AD program.
If you are a dependent spouse or child—or the surviving spouse or child—of a veteran, you may qualify for Chapter 35 benefits or job training through a GI Bill program.
The Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) helps you pay for school or job training. If you have served on active duty after September 10, 2001, you may qualify for the Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33).

Waiting for Benefits?

The Department of Veterans Affairs has funds available for students who are still awaiting their education benefit claim to be processed. Eligible veterans can receive up to a $3000 advance, which will be recouped from future benefit payments.

If you applied for one of VA's education programs and have not yet received your monthly benefit payment, you can request a one-time advance payment. Contact your local VA Regional Office at 1.800.827.1000 or go to Be sure to have your facility code close at hand.

back to top button